It worked a treat! The only thing I would change is tracing it out in a thicker pen and leave the black outline on the outside of the template, to make it easier to see when I am cutting out.
When I made my first ever hexagons, it took me forever. I cut all the little pieces out, and then proceeded to fold around and edges and iron them all in place before doing a gazillion little stitches around the edge.
I now cut the pieces out in batches and keep them in a basket with the papers and items needed to handstitch. I can then sit down and sew a few with a cup of tea outside or in front of the TV at night time at the end of a long day.
After I have positioned the paper, I put a pin in the middle of my hexies to secure the fabric. I am currently using 1 1/4 inch papers so this works fine for me to hold the fabric in place while I fold and stitch.
Unlike when I first started, I have found the corner stitches are actually the most important and now do just one big baste stitch in between. I did find the folding part a bit tricky at first, but now I find it's a bit like when you are wrapping a gift in a box. Then I make sure I do a little stitch on either side of the corner to hold it in place. Just stitching in the point results in a hexagon that won't be a hexagon...
(note: there's like a scary double knot thing happening on the back of my hexie in these pictures...I didn't check my thread length and ran out in my rush to get stitching!)
I find it easier to cut my template a bit bigger than the one provided in the packet. Yes it uses more fabric but as a beginner or perhaps just as someone that origami and folding doesn't come naturally to, I have found it way easier to have some extra in the fold over.
All things considered, I am rather pleased with my make do plastic template. This print is going to look so cute mixed in with my other florals and prints!
For posts delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to the Dolly Henry Blog by e-mail! It's free to join and you'll never miss an update again!